After work last night I needed to kill some time before I went to a birthday dinner in Chelsea. I hadn't visited Battery Park yet; so I went exploring. I ended up at the end of the pier watching the water lap against the edge while the Staten Island Ferry cruised back and forth past the Statue of Liberty. It was one of those moments where I couldn't believe that I was standing in New York City, and not only that, but I actually really, truly live here. I'm not sure I'll ever adjust to that fact. I'm really excited for Fall because last night it was nice and cool, and even the subway stations were a comfortable temperature.
We ate at a cafe in Chelsea for my friend's birthday. It was funny to be back in Chelsea, and I definitely missed it! Don't get me wrong, I love my neighborhood now, but Chelsea is more alive at night than my neighborhood. I told myself last night that it was ok because it gave me a neighborhood to work toward to try and afford! It seriously was the grace of God that I even got to sublet an apartment there because I paid an incredibly low amount for that location.
I'm still not loving my neighbor very well...in fact I yelled at him last night. I got home around 10 p.m. and took Maggie outside. When I got home the doors were all closed. When I got outside, out he came propping the door to outside behind him. I looked at him and told him he couldn't leave that door open. He shrugged his shoulders and said "it's ok because I'm just going to the corner." I told him that it wasn't ok that just because he was at the corner doesn't mean that anybody passing by couldn't just walk on down. Then he just kept saying "I have a key, it's ok." I started realizing that his English was probably not the greatest, but I know he knew what I was saying. So at first I was just kinda mad because he was propping the outside door open, and I told him that I was going to close the door when he walked away. So he walked away, and I closed the door. Then I got back downstairs, and he had ALL of the doors open again. So the door to my hallway, our trash door and the door outside. That's when I was livid. He came back downstairs through the trash room using his key, and that's when I really started yelling at him. I told him that it wasn't safe for anyone else in the building, and he should respect the rest of the people living in the building. I mean honestly, if he has a key to the outside doors that the rest of us don't, then he's just being lazy. The rest of us go through the front door of the building using our cards to get through all the doors and then into our apartments. It's a little out of the way for me to go through the front door, but honestly not much at all like five steps out of the way. So not only is he too lazy to go through the front door like the rest of us, he's too lazy to use his key to go through the shorter way! I don't feel like I probably showed him Christ by yelling at him, but I was so upset. The office is going to talk to his managers again for the third time, and the girl told me she would try to talk to him personally about it. At least the people in the office understand and are really nice about it.
Work is going well today, and honestly if work was like this every day I probably wouldn't hate my job so much. I'm curious to see what life is like here after the big conference they have next week. Only time will tell...
2 comments:
I think it is ok to yell, sometimes. Oh, and you will have to get so get a pedi while you are here. The place is right by our apt so let me know and I will join you!
Mel,
This is Wendy's dad. I'm sorry you were sick and we missed you at church Sunday. Landon and I were impressed with the the Manhattan church. We had a good time last weekend except for some subway problems. Wish you well in your job and neighbor situation.
Lynn Waller
Post a Comment