Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Be Nice to Your Admin

Contrary to popular belief, administrative assistants are not actually the office maid. If you make a mess, it is not their job to clean it up. Their job is to make sure you have adequate supplies, everything is organized in a manner that is conducive to finding what you need and helping customers get to the employee who can help them. Today is a typical day for our office break room. I went back to make sure the fridge was stocked with drinks, and on the table there are about five wadded up napkins which I refuse to touch, the plastic wrapper from a Snapple bottle, the label off an Aquafina bottle, a plate and a knife. On the coffee table there is an empty coke can and more wadded up napkins. On top of the counter is an empty cup, a plastic bag filled with something and other random trash. What irritates me the most about the trash is that it's all little stuff that when you finish eating, you should gather up and throw away. In preschool you learn to clean up after yourself...it doesn't change when you're an adult. You are still expected to clean up your trash! It's shocking, I know, but it's true. So please treat your administrative assistant with some respect and kindness. Expect them to do their job and not to do other jobs like a maid service.

1 comment:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

I agree! I wouldn't pick that stuff off if it costs me my job!!