Monday, September 22, 2008

Responsibility

This morning on the subway I saw a few things that reminded me of the Liberty Mutual commercials where they say "When a person does the right thing, they call it being responsible. When it's an insurance company, they call it Liberty Mutual." A guy in the subway dropped his jacket on the platform. He had his headphones on and was kind of oblivious to the world around him. Two teenage guys behind him ran after him to hand him his jacket. Then on the crowded train, another teenage guy got up to offer his seat to a woman who was standing...in my defense, I was also standing so I couldn't offer her my seat. I had a really good weekend. Friday night I took Maggie to Central Park and let her run around off her leash. She enjoyed that a lot more than the dog park. On Saturday I took her on another really long walk through Central Park. We ran into one of my neighbors that I had met last week. He and his fiance have a rat terrier too. He's really nice and funny. It's nice to know someone in the building more than just their name. He also gave me some good gossip about the building. He said he went to a meeting for a garden that's right beside our building. When he got to the meeting, he introduced himself and everyone said "oh you live in the arson building?" Apparently in 2001, there was an apartment fire, and they kicked all the current tenants out and renovated the entire building. It explains so much. After my extremely long walk I went to Ryan and Cassie's to hang out. We played Phase 10, and I remembered playing Phase 10 in high school and it not ending so well! I was a much better sport this time around.

At church I volunteered to help prepare a luncheon for the helpers and teachers for the children's ministry. The kids were really cute and hilarious. I also got suckered in to helping in the 4s and 5s class on Sunday mornings. I'm not looking forward to the early morning commitment I've made myself, but I figure it'll be good for me and be a way I can meet older people in the congregation. Yesterday was Sunday Ibok's birthday. After church we took him to lunch at a mexican food place in Soho. I didn't realize how much I missed chips and salsa!!! I haven't had chips and salsa since I left Texas. The food was pretty good. I was impressed for New York. Now if I can only remember the name of the restaurant...After lunch we went to Ryan and Cassie's and played Apples to Apples, ordered some pizza and hung out. It was a fun weekend, and I took more pictures! I'll try to post them later tonight or tomorrow. I even took pictures of my office as promised.

2 comments:

Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

Our preacher took us out one Sunday to a Mexican restaurant. I was a little weary because I had hear IL mexican food was not so good. But this was a hole in the wall place and fantastic! It reminded me of home.

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend.