Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Job Interview

Today I had my first NYC job interview. It's with a publishing company, and the job sounds very similar to what I did in my Centennial job. I spent like two hours getting ready for the interview (including taking out my nose ring), trying to take my time so that I didn't rush, and I took a cab so that I wouldn't get sweaty walking or waiting on the subway. My interview was ten minutes long. For such a short interview it went well. The guy told me that he really liked me, and that I would do a good job...which was funny to me seeing how he'd known me about ten minutes, and I hadn't even been able to give him any details about my work. But hey, obviously the guy is a good judge of character. Haha. He did say that I was a "prime candidate." So we'll see what that means. I'll find out by the middle of next week for sure one way or the other. In the meantime, I am still on the hunt.

Yesterday I went to get my suit out of storage for my interview. Every time I go to my storage unit, there is a little man with some Eastern European accent who asks me if I need help, and I always so no. Then he always tells me that he has a very nice table or a very nice chair or some other very nice bargain of the day if I'm interested. With each offer I reply "I really don't need anything right now." Seriously, if I have a storage unit full of stuff, does it look like I need more stuff to put in there? Yesterday he asked me what my name was again like I had told him in the past and he had forgotten. I'm not sure if he works there or just hangs out there or what. I'm hoping that he works there and doesn't just live in the storage building taking tables and chairs from people and selling them on the side.

The other weird thing I have encountered since I've been here is people talking to their dogs like they are a person. Now don't get me wrong I talk to Maggie all the time in the privacy of my own home and say things to her like "Oh Margaret, where are we going to live???" But this is in public like at Rite Aid a lady with a bulldog said "Oh Madge, it's raining. I guess we'll have to wait inside. I'm sorry Madge." This was the first time I had ever seen someone talk to their dog like that so I thought it was a fluke until the next day. A woman and her dog were blocking the sidewalk, and I was coming up behind them. So instead of moving over to the side quietly and just letting me pass, the woman said to her dog "Now you need to get over so that this nice woman can pass by. Thank you for moving over." Hopefully when you come visit me I won't be talking to Maggie like that! And if I am, make me come back and read this post!

1 comment:

Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

Woah--yeah not so sure about the people talking to their dogs. When they start dressing them up in matching outfits that is the time to run away.