"This is going to be a big day for us," Livvy said somewhere eastbound on I30 around 4:45 a.m. on Friday. We left as scheduled with no problems and continued our journey to St. Louis without any problems. I think we ended up only stopping three times, which I think is really good for a 12 hour drive! We had breakfast at Denny's in McAllister, OK, lunch at McDonald's in Joplin, MO, and a potty break at a rest stop. We got to Wes' parents house and started unloading the car almost immediately. We took everything off what I call the suburban bike basket and moved it to the inside of the car by taking out the third seat in the suburban. In order to do that though, Wes had to take the seat and the suburban bike basket to his parents' old house, which they are trying to sell right now, to store it while we're gone. On his way back to his parents house, he ran into an old high school friend who was visiting her parents and currently resides in New Jersey. I'm not sure why, but she took a special interest in my case and made sure that she emailed Wes her contact information along with one of their mutual friends who lives in Brooklyn.
The next day was just a lot of driving with very few stops. We drove about 800 miles (I think) from St. Louis to Harrisburg, PA, where we had to sneak Maggie into the Best Western smoking room which they cut us a deal on because it was the only room left. The downside to staying in the smoking room, however, is the fact that now all of my clothes smell like cigarette smoke...sick. We got up this morning, drove into the city and that is where the chaos commenced. There was lots of traffic, Wes got mad, Shelley got mad that Wes got mad and then I was mad that they were both mad. After what seemed like hours of driving in Brooklyn, we made it to the B&B to pick up our keys and then headed to the storage unit. Unfortunately there's two of the same storage units on Atlantic Avenue, and the one we needed was closed. The guy at the other store was really rude on the phone so we ended up finding another storage unit that was supposed to cost me around $50...I should have known better...The place closed at 4 p.m., and it was 3:45 p.m. The guy showed me a storage unit, it was a good size and a good price so I said yes and asked when I could start moving stuff in. He told me that he didn't think I would have time today since they were closing at 4 p.m., but there was no way we were leaving all of that stuff in the car on the street. So we started pulling stuff out of the car as quickly as possible and taking it inside when the guy suddenly remembers that since it's after the 15th of the month I'll have to pay for July and August even though I only need it through the rest of July. How convenient. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt though and thinking that he probably didn't have a clue what day it was like me.
So after that it was more stressful driving to meet the first real estate agent. We had barely enough time to grab our first meal of the day at 5 p.m., but it was good! (And now I'm hungry again and stuck at the B&B with nothing to eat again!) We looked at two apartments tonight. One apartment was decent, but the neighborhood was a little shady. The second apartment had brand new stainless steel appliances in the kitchen, brand new bathroom stuff and a lot of room; however, there was a gangster standing in the doorway talking about how the cops always protected some guy and the inside of the building looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it was built in about 1880. So more apartments tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment