Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oh What a Night

I am super excited to go home tonight. I'm excited to be away from work and see a lot of family and friends! If you're in DFW, definitely give me a call. The other night while we were out, Claudia and I got free passes to a sneak preview of Valkyrie. I was already interested in seeing the movie because I read some articles about Germany not wanting Tom Cruise to play the lead, and because the tickets were free it pushed me over the edge to definitely wanting to see it. We left work to go to the theater and on our way we passed by a diner on Amsterdam. Claudia said "Look! I think they're filming Law and Order!" I look over and there's crime scene tape all around the building and blocking off the street. There were policemen, guys in trench coats standing around and a camera across the street aimed at the entrance. I overheard a lady ask what was going on, so I leaned in and heard a detective say that someone was shot there earlier. I know it was probably not an appropriate response, but I started laughing as we walked away because it was not an episode of Law and Order but an actual crime scene, but only in New York could you confuse the two. We got to the theather and Claudia saw a guy with a cat on top of his head. She said "let's go talk to Cat Guy." I said "Won't he just want money?" So she started talking to him and sure enough he wanted money so I ducked into the Gap next door. It is after all my home away from home. While I was waiting for Claudia I saw some coats that were on clearance so I started looking at them. Claudia met me inside and told me the coat was ugly so to prove her wrong I tried it on. It was in fact ugly, and as I put it back on the rack the balance of the rack got off and started to fall over. I grabbed it in time before it fell to the ground and I embarassed myself anymore, but in the meantime, the hangers pinched my hands and it was really painful. I tried to leave the Gap with as much dignity as I could. We made it to the theater and ended up sitting in front of a woman who liked to share her feelings with the entire audience. She would gasp loudly and say "NO!" really loud. Then say "What's going to happen???" like she was five years old. It was kind of obnoxious. The movie is really good by the way! I'd recommend it to anyone. We left and stopped into Food Emporium to see if they had Rotel and Velveeta, which they did. We also ran into two girls we met at the Redeemer Christmas party. How random is that? I think I said this when I ran into Sunday in Chelsea, but it amazes me that in a city of 8 million people you can run into someone you know. Maybe I was wrong about Sex and the City. They had Carrie running into people all the time...maybe it's not as unlikely as I thought. Ironically, one of the girls we ran into last night is named Carrie.

It was a fun night, but topped off with a little sadness. I dropped Maggie off at the Masons. They are taking care of her while I'm gone, and instead of trying to carry my suitcase, her carrier and manage her on the leash and ride the bus this morning, I took her to their house last night. It was hard to leave her. I walked home and cried. As I was crying I tried to all Adriane and ended up hitting the wrong name on my phone but didn't realize it until it was too late. So then I looked like an idiot.

I'm leaving work at 3:30 p.m. to take the bus to the airport. My dad will pick me up from the airport and on the way home I have requested that we drive through Taco Bueno. It's been too long. I think I'll probably end up having Mexican food for every meal while I'm home. It'll be a good week.

2 comments:

Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

I'm so with you, Mel. I'm getting my Taco Bueno on when we get to Texas! And Travis is getting his Red Robin on. Oh, the little things we miss. Have a wonderful Christmas!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Yay! Hope you have a safe flight!!