Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Inability to Filter Noises

Today I had a hearing exam. Not just the "raise your hand when you hear a beep" exam, but not one too far off. I found out a couple of things. One, that I actually have really good hearing. The second being that even though I have really good hearing, I have the inability to filter noises out. So when there's more than one noise going on, it's hard for me to block out the noises I don't need to listen to and focus on the one that I need to hear. Pretty ironic considering that is how my life with God has been. I know this is a major problem with the whole world right now, but I have a spiritual inability to filter out noises.

I listen to things like the TV instead of reading my Bible in my spare time. I tend to hear my own thoughts and wants over the right thing to do. So like my hearing problem, there's no cure and no secret to making it better. Just something to be aware of and pay attention to. Wouldn't it be nice if there were a cure though? You figure out the problem you have and take a pill, and it's cured...I guess that would be why we have prayer, which has been doing amazing things for my life lately. I forget that when you remember to let God in instead of ignoring him, that life is always better even if things in life aren't better.

So I'm sorry if you were hoping (like Wendy Kilmer) that I was going to have a hearing aid in one ear and my bluetooth headset in the other, but my hearing is absolutely fine.

1 comment:

Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

I wish I watched less tv and did more productive stuff. I think for me I enjoy having the tv on as background noise. Living alone it's nice to hear other people talking...well other than the neighbors speaking whatever language they speak outside your door :)