Friday, March 03, 2006

Soul Force

So in a few weeks we are having some on campus visitors. A group called Soul Force, and they are taking an Equality Ride across the country, and their seventh stop is non other than Abilene Christian University. They apparently want to open conversations up with our administration about our treatment of homosexuals on campus.

Personally, I think that the administration here is handling it very well. Many times situations like this are handled with anger and defensiveness instead of love like we are called to do. Seriously, when did arguing with anyone over beliefs ever change someone's mind. It usually just makes them mad and makes them disagree with you more.

Christ said the most important command is to love one another. And Paul tells us that love is patient, love is kind...it keeps no records of wrong. So I'm really glad ACU's solution is to treat Soul Force with patience and kindness and let them come on campus. Let them see that we love everyone and our policies are equal for homosexuals and heterosexuals.

Since I was 16, I've been blessed with a lot of friendships with gay friends. It was hard in high school because I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't agree with their lifestyles that they had chosen, but I didn't want to shut them out because I didn't feel that was right. I decided that I needed to be there for them and be a steady, constant friend in their life. Someone that they could rely on. One day if I had the opportunity then I could talk to them, but instead of always telling them how wrong they were, I decided to let my actions reflect Christ instead of trying to let my words.

I have a few friends who do not act on their feelings, and I admire them so much. They have taught me how strong they are by struggling with something that big and not giving into the temptation, but instead relying on God to get them through. My other friends who have acted on these feelings, are usually frustrated with life and usually not very happy. That's why I believe people when they say it's not a choice for them. Who would pick a lifestyle that segregates them from society???

So thank you ACU for picking love over anger.

Addendum:
The other thing that I forgot to say was that who knows, maybe Soul Force will have some points that we as Christians need to take into consideration. Who says that we are doing everything exactly 100% the right way? As Christians, I think it's exetremely important that we keep an open mind and remember that we are not right all the time. So hopefully our campus can keep a clear and open mind and hear what this organization is telling us and not just ignore them. Christ came to heal the sick not the healthy...and guess what, we're all sick and in need of the Great Physician.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment!

Yeah I agree with you on the different people, different situations. And everything else. We tend to act like they are a whole other species, but they are the same as you and me.

The other thing that I forgot to say was that who knows, maybe Soul Force will have some points that we as Christians need to take into consideration. Who says that we are doing everything exactly 100% the right way. As Christians, I think it's exetremely important that we keep an open mind and remember that we are not right all the time. So hopefully our campus can keep a clear and open mind and hear what this organization is telling us and not just ignore them.