Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Wildcat Week of Service

It's days like these that I love working for ACU. I got paid today to do a service project. In HR, we decided to make "manna bags," which are bags full of food, water, deoderant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, a Bible and more stuff. We drove around Abilene looking for homeless people that we could talk to and pray with. The car I was in talked to a man named John who was very grateful for our pitiful excuse we called help. I'll say it was a good effort, but what I really wanted to do was find him a job and a home. He wanted us to pray for him to find a job. So, Lord, please help John find a job so he can have a home.

The second person we got to meet was a woman who was living close to Love and Care Ministries. All she had was a mattress, her clothes and some cigarettes. We gave her a bag and asked if we could pray for her. We didn't get her name, but she wanted a house to live in.

So many things we take for granted. I know I can't help everyone, but I really want to. I know I can pray for them, which as I've said before is a radical thing to do for someone, so I'm going to try and remember to pray for them a lot. And I ask you to pray for them to. Also, consider having manna bags in your car. If you buy in bulk at Sam's, it's not that much, and you could even go in with a friend. At Abilene Education Supply on Campus Court, we got Bibles made for babies and just took them out of the box so they looked like little white Bibles. Anyway, they were only like $4 for each Bible. Just a thought. It was truly a blessing to be able to talk to John and our other friend.

Tomorrow I get to humble myself again by picking up trash.

No comments: