Monday, August 15, 2005

Overly Critical

Ok, now this post may come as a shock to some of you, but you have been warned. I am overly critical at times. I think it has come out a lot this weekend. And as I thought about it, I realized that I have no right to be critical of anything. Adriane and I started teaching 4s and 5s at church this Sunday, and they were great. They did everything we told them to do, they participated in the lesson and had a good time. No one leaned over to their friend and said, "I can't believe they're making us sing this song" or "look at that rainbow on the poster, did she spend two minutes on that???" They don't care, and I shouldn't care.

So why do I care? Well I'd like to blame it on my personality. Sometimes I feel like it's part of my job field that I'm in. I analyze the way everyone does everything, think about how I would do it and then decide which way would work out better. But the problem has come when I started applying this way of thinking to every part of my life especially at church. God does not call me to judge how someone else teaches a class, leads a prayer or sings a song.

Why do we feel like it's ok to tear each other down? Wasn't that a lesson we were supposed to learn in elementary school? That everyone counts, everyone's ideas are good even if they're different from ours and that everyone deserves a chance. Isn't that what Napoleon Dynamite is all about??? I decided I don't like myself when I tear others down and when I'm overly critical. I know I can't instantly fix the problem, but I'm making a promise to try and do better and be a little nicer to the people around me.

No comments: