Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Maggie's Near Death Experience

Maggie almost died yesterday. We were on our way to the park for a short run, and she was (as always) very excited to be going to the park. There's a four-way stop intersection we have to pass to get there, and cars never stop at this intersection. You're lucky if they even pause. One car passed through the intersection, and there was a cab behind him. I started crossing because I assumed he had seen me. Maggie was walking about two feet in front of me (thankfully not more than that), and I suddenly realized that the cab did not see me or Maggie and was not stopping at the stop sign. Maggie was literally about six inches from his wheel when I yelled "HEY!" and jerked Maggie back as hard as I could on the leash. I don't even think she noticed because she was still so excited about going to the park. The guy looked back and made an "oops" face and said "sorry!" I was pretty proud of myself for not cussing him out. Instead I just yelled at him and told him he wasn't looking and he didn't even stop. They do put stop signs in places for a reason you know. I decided that maybe this is where Death Cab for Cutie got their name. They had a pet named Cutie, it got hit by a cab and died therefore inventing the phrase Death Cab for Cutie. (Not really for those of you who'd like to know...you can read about the band's name here.) We continued on to the park with no more near-death experiences. I'd like to say that Maggie's a changed dog because of the experience, but she's not. For those of you who have requested more posts from Maggie because you think she's funnier than I am (cough - jerks), she wanted to blog about it, but then she remembered that she didn't even notice the cab's tire coming straight at her so she decided to let me tell the story since I'm the one that saved her life. Here she is post close call.

I do have pictures of football, but I had to take them with Erica's camera because I left mine at home so as soon as I get them from her I will post them. They should be pretty funny because we did the 3rd Grade soccer team photo where two people are knelt down in the front holding the ball. Dan and I held the football. It's supposed to be really good weather again this weekend so I'll try to remember to pack my camera once again and take pictures before the game is over.

No comments: