Friday, April 03, 2009

All You Need is Love

I've encountered a few friends recently who have rocked my boat a little bit when it comes to Christian writers. They don't like Rob Bell because he said something they didn't agree with. Someone else doesn't like Donald Miller because he associates himself with Brian McLaren and Brian McLaren endorsed a guy who wrote something bad. And on and on. This kind of theology makes me nervous because I believe you can like someone without loving everything they say or do. If one negative comment/belief can negate anything good you've ever said or done I'm screwed. I think we have to stop blasting people for one particular part of themself and accept them as a child of God. We need to learn to accept people with their faults and remember our own faults as well. We don't have all the answers, only God does. Sometimes I think it would be hilarious to turn around and write a review about the person writing the negative review just so they could get a taste of their own medicine. I believe when we start nit picking about items/beliefs/statements/hairstyles/clothes/choices then we forget the message of the Gospel and become like the pharisees that seemed to annoy the crap out of Jesus. Instead of including people in our story and God's story, we start excluding them. What I'd like to see is more reviews saying "you know, I don't really agree with [insert statement here], but I think Brian McLaren makes some really thought-provoking points about [insert statement here]." That's all.

No comments: