Monday, March 23, 2009

Week After Spring Break

After a very quiet week at Columbia (spring break), it's really nice to have the students and faculty back. Add the fact that my coworker Shavonn is out this week, and it's a great week to be here. I love Shavonn, but she spends a good majority of the days on the phone with her friends/relatives; so listening to one side of a conversation all day gets a little old...especially when it's the same story repeated over and over and over again haha. We have prospective students here today for an open house which means a free breakfast and a free lunch for me. I walked into the room deciding to earn my free food and started talking to a group of students. I recognized all but one, and so I assumed he was the prospective student they were talking to. After about 20 minutes, I found out that he's a current student here, and I, in fact, was not talking to any prospective students. Oops. Maybe at lunch I can do better. I guess I still have more of the students to meet than I realized.

This weekend my touch football team had our second official game. The other team only had two players show up so they forfeited. We on the other hand had 15 people show up so we scrimmaged each other. What's awesome about this league is that every park we play at is right by the water. So you're catching a football with the East River so close you could literally jump a fence and be in the water, and the Brooklyn skyline staring you down. Last week our game was at a park on the northwest side of Manhattan so we were looking at the Hudson River while we played. It's awesome. After the game we all went to Alphabet Scoop (an ice cream shop) in the East Village. The ice cream was really, really good, and what's awesome about this shop is that it's run by a church and all the proceeds go to a ministry there. What could be more perfect than dessert for a cause?

Later that night we had a birthday party for a guy from my small group. He grew up in Connecticut, Indiana and Texas and then went to Harvard, so the theme for the party was come dressed like one of those places. Of course I came dressed in my pearl snap shirt. People were literally blown away. There was a guy at the party who just moved here from Texas who also came in a pearl snap shirt, and people kept asking us "what kind of shirt is there? where do you get them?" I really found it hilarious.

No comments: