Wednesday, March 11, 2009

New U2

The past week has been insane. Tuesday morning I bought a plane ticket, Wednesday I left New York and flew to Dallas, Friday I drove to Longview, Saturday I drove back to Dallas and Sunday I flew back to New York. I spent time with family, friends and the new U2 album. I have listened to it in the car, on a plane, on the sidewalk, bus and everywhere in between, and I have to say it's my favorite U2 album now. When I first heard the new single Get On Your Boots, I wanted to throw up. I hated it. Now, I think it makes sense in the context of the album. Usually when a new album comes out, I don't like it. After a few months, it grows on me enough to where there are songs I love and songs I could do without. I loved this album immediately, and honestly there aren't any songs that I skip over.

Tour dates were announced on Monday, and U2 is playing Giants Stadium on September 24, and I have pre-sale ticket access. U2 concerts are a big deal to me. Probably bigger than anything else in my life sadly. I'm not sure who's going to go with me this time. It's always an adventure. My first U2 show, I got to go at the last minute. My sister, brother-in-law and his brother were all going to the show and somehow ended up with an extra ticket. They graciously took me along to the Cotton Bowl, and I was hooked. When they played Where the Streets Have No Name, I got chills (and still do). Rob Bell describes hearing that song live as the first time he felt God. It's unbelievable. The second time I saw U2 was at Reunion Arena with my sister on the Elevation Tour. After the show we were hanging out, and I thought I heard my name being called. I looked up and there was Patrick Vincent and Laura Stork (now Akins) just one section over from where we were. The last time I saw them was on the Vertigo Tour at American Airlines with Adriane, Patrick, Shelley and Wes. Adriane, Patrick and I drove in from Abilene that day, hung out with our families and then met up at the show. My step brother-in-law, Chris Seidman, called me to rub in the fact that he had received last-minute tickets which were WAY better than our seats. We were in the nosebleeds, and Chris was pretty much on stage.

This year I am determined to get good seats. I don't know how I'm going to pay for the ticket, but I will find a way! Now I have to find worthy concert goers. It can't be just anyone. You must love U2 and want to pay an extraordinary amount of money to see them. I guess you could say I'm accepting applications for interested parties. Haha. I know this is going to sound kind of sad, but I really look forward to their shows and kind of long for them in a way. Imagine the best worship service you've ever been to and magnify that by about 300 and that's a U2 concert.

No comments: