Monday, March 16, 2009

The Postal Service

I have to say for a Monday morning, I feel great! I had an awesome weekend. Friday we had our usual Fellowship Group, which I am blessed by every Friday night. I love my group, and there's always deep, meaningful discussion with some of the greatest people I've ever met. As I was leaving FG (which meets three buildings down from mine), I was almost to my building when this woman walked past me. I instantly recognized her, but I doubted myself because let's face it, I don't live in the nicest neighborhood. It was Felicia from David Letterman's band. She's the only girl (I'm pretty sure), and she has really long dreadlocks. I couldn't help but stop her and talk to her. It turns out she lives in the neighborhood...I couldn't believe it. She's super nice, made sure she remembered my name and told me it was nice to meet a neighbor. Saturday we had football practice at Central Park, and then I was helping out a friend's daughter with her Flat Stanley project. My job is to take Mallory's Flat Stanley version of herself around New York taking pictures and gathering brochures for her class project. Then I have to write a description of what we did together in the city and mail it back to her school. Claudia agreed to go around with me and Flat Mallory. We started at the Brooklyn Bridge, a tourist place I hadn't been to before Saturday. The weather was great, and the bridge is so pretty. We got our pictures and went to get pictures of the Statue of Liberty. I needed to take some stuff back to IKEA, and IKEA also has $.50 hot dogs; wo instead of taking the Staten Island Ferry past the Statue of Liberty, we took the IKEA water taxi past the statue. As we were waiting to leave the water taxi, Claudia asked me if I remembered when the ferry crashed. She said it was a few years ago. Jokingly I told her I was pretty sure she was thinking about Grey's Anatomy. We laughed, and the guy in front of us turned and nodded his head. I said "see, even he thinks you're thinking of Grey's." He laughed and said "it's true, I am." Then he said "not really, I remember the ferry crashing. The guy was drunk or something." I said "man, I must have been hiding under a rock somewhere." And Claudia said "yeah, in Texas." Then the guy said "are you from Texas?" I said yes, then he told me he was from Austin. Small world. Eventually we exchanged numbers, and we're meeting for a drink tonight. Exciting! After we returned my blinds and ate hot dogs, we took the subway back to Manhattan to Times Square. We took pictures of Flat Mallory, picked up some brochures from a hotel and then got a real dinner.

Yesterday was our first touch football game. The opposing team was HUGE compared to us. I felt like a high school JV team going to play UT. I sat out the first drive and went in for our second offensive drive. The first play I got a guy's shoulder to my chin. It definitely rattled me enough to where I thought I was going to pass out for a minute. I recovered, played an injury-less play, and the next play got a shoulder to my eye. Seriously??? He hit me so hard my eyes instantly watered so I had to explain to everyone that I was ok, I wasn't actually crying, it was just he hit me directly in the eye. Nice. I sat out for a few more plays, and the next drive I went in I begged the guy guarding me to be gentle. I couldn't take anymore hits. Haha. We lost big time like 44-21, but we learned a lot and had fun. I played center on defense, which I like, and I actually got to tag a lot of people. I went home though and couldn't move the rest of the night. I woke up this morning with a headache, but I didn't care because it was absolutely beautiful here this morning. I love NY on mornings like this. The sun is shining, the temperature is warm, but still cool enough to not be hot. My walk to work was fantastic accompanied by The Postal Service. Maybe I should be worried that I still have a massive headache from my two hits to the head, but I'm not going to worry about it yet. If you try to call me tomorrow and I don't answer, maybe you should be worried. Haha.

No comments: