Monday, January 09, 2006

Compassion

Every once and a while I get kicked back down to reality, and these swift kicks come from the most precious boy on earth, Anwar, who is six years old and lives in Tanzania. Last year Adriane and I made one of the best decisions we've made together and started sponsoring a little boy through Compassion International. Splitting the bill with Adriane costs me $14/month. The plan is for each of us to adopt another child and keep supporting Anwar, but I do things like buy cars and clothes instead of help people in poverty.

If you've ever thought about sponsoring a child, I really encourage you to. It's an incredible experience being able to get a glimpse into Anwar's life in Africa. He writes to us faithfully even though we forget to write him back, and in his letters, he is always telling us that he is praying for us. We get pictures of him occassionally, but we always get pictures drawn by Anwar, and we always have a blast trying to figure out what the heck it is that he drew. He also tells us about what he is learning in school which always includes something from the Bible. And he nevers forgets to mention how grateful he is for our sponsorship so he can go to school. Very humbling.

http://www.compassion.com

1 comment:

Adriane Jewett said...

Sorry...I just assumed you would know. Hibernated like a baton...duh. Next time I'll be sure to spell it out for you! =)