I have a few crazy ideas for when I have kids. I'm not sure if I'll ever get the rest of my family to agree with them, which is kinda sad, but I really would like to try these. My old boss from HR serves the homeless Thanksgiving lunch on Thanksgiving Day at the Civic Center in Abilene. How cool would it be to take your children to volunteer up there and then have Thanksgiving that night...how much more thankful would the whole family be after a day serving others who have nothing?
The other would be to do something similar on Christmas. Maybe only give my kids one gift and then use the rest of the Christmas money to go buy McDonald's gift cards or something for the homeless and then spend the day passing them out and/or adopt a family to buy gifts for. Wouldn't it be fun to give them bigger and better presents than we got each other?
Like I said, I'm not sure I'll ever get someone to agree to these kind of ideas for our kids, but I think it would be fun. Show my kids that life isn't always about how much stuff you have or "need" but about how much stuff you already have.
2 comments:
Crazy ideas??? Are you kidding -- those are brilliant ideas. Do those things, and your children will have memories that last a lifetime...and, more importantly, an ETERNITY!
I, too, think they are great ideas (you may never see this comment since I'm WAY late -- like a month -- getting here). I've found that a part of not drowning your kids with junk-o-la is getting the grandparents on board with not drowning the kids with junk-o-la. But I think that you can spend their entire lives teaching them about the needs of others and they, too, will see that they don't need the junk-o-la!
Post a Comment