Monday, June 01, 2009

Who Am I?

I had a crazy weekend which leads to the title of this blog. I love to go out and hang out with people, but usually I like to be home around midnight, maybe 1 a.m. on a crazy night so that I can go to bed and sleep. This weekend, this was not the case. Friday night I went to small group, and Claudia and I left together. I was leaving because I was so tired and wanted to go to bed. We started talking about stuff and Claudia asked if I wanted to get a drink. I said sure so we headed down to one of our favorite bars Jake's Dilemma. We stayed there a while, but there just wasn't much going on there so we went to its sister bar down the street called the Gin Mill (another favorite). The Gin Mill was definitely more exciting. Almost immediately a guy came over and started talking to Claudia. I was feeling like a third wheel for a while until I eventually went to get another drink. As I was standing at the bar, a guy started talking to me, I told him pick-up lines that I had turned down in the past, he told me girls have it easy because they just have to stand there and let the guys come to them haha. So we all hung out for a while. So seeing how we didn't even get to the bar until midnight, it was already late. By the time I got home, it was 6 a.m.! We had a lot of fun though.

So Saturday I slept as best as I could. I'm not a good sleeper when I stay up all night. I finally got up for good around 1:30 p.m. and started getting ready for a fundraiser dinner for our Nicaragua trip. I was in charge of dessert and was making strawberry shortcake. After showering and spending what felt like hours picking out a slightly dressy but not too dressy outfit, I went to the grocery store and headed for Queens. Someone had emailed out directions, but I was way uptown and decided to Google map it on my phone because Google maps had never let me down before in NYC. I put in the address and went on my way. I got off the train and started walking. Once I reached the street she lived on I stood at the corner trying to figure out which direction to turn. Google maps was telling me to turn right, but something inside me was telling me to turn left. I check the map several times and decided to go with it. Because like I said before Google maps had never let me down in the past...finally about 2 miles later I decided I must have turned the wrong way. I called our hostess, and she told me that yes, in fact, I had gone the wrong way. Suck! I couldn't figure out why my phone was saying to go all this way when finally I looked at the address and realized that the phone was auto-correcting the address with the wrong address! So it was giving me the right directions to the wrong place. I hopped in a cab and begrudgingly paid $8 to have him drop me off at the door. The cab driver was really nice though and even though I didn't know where I was going, he was very patient and nice and figured it out for me. We had a really successful fundraiser that night and were sitting around after the guests left talking when we decided to go see Star Trek. The movie started at 11:10 p.m. This is usually the time (especially when in another burrough that's not Manhattan) that I head home, instead I went to the movie. I loved it!

We got out of the movie and made it back to the train around 1:30 a.m. when we realized that the trains are running on the late night schedule which means they only come every 30 minutes. Four of us were traveling back to Manhattan together so we knew it wouldn't be horrible waiting together. My friend Sara said "we should think of a game to play," and that's when I said "wait! I threw Catch Phrase in my bag just in case!" So we played Catch Phrase on the platform waiting for the train. We didn't have to wait long and as we stepped on the train I said "I guess I should put the game away." Everyone looked at each other, shrugged their shoulders and said "no, let's keep playing!" So we played all the way back to Manhattan. Of course by the time we got to Manhattan something was happening on the tracks and the train wasn't running on the right line anymore which meant we had to get off early and catch another train that wasn't going to take any of us where we needed to be. Our one guy had left us a stop before the track fiasco, so there were three of us girls, it was 2 a.m. on a Saturday night in Manhattan, so we decided to all go catch cabs. I got by far my favorite cab driver so far in the city. He was super friendly from the moment I got in the cab and tried to make all the lights, etc. About halfway through Central Park he goes "can I ask you a question?" and I said "sure." He wanted to know if I thought it was acceptable to turn on the air conditioner on a cool night like it was. I laughed and told him he was asking the wrong person. His girlfriend had called him and asked him if she could turn the air on, and he said yes, but he didn't want to. Like I said, he was a nice guy. I got home around 2:30 a.m. and was starving so I had chips and queso before going to bed at 3 a.m.

Yesterday Faye, the hostess of the fundraiser dinner, was bringing me the whipped cream and my vanilla that I'd left at her apartment because of the movie. Her brother literally lives around the corner from me, and he was having a barbecue so they invited me over. I showed up with the leftover queso expecting a normal barbecue. I couldn't have been more wrong. Her brother is a professional event planner and his friend (a chef) was over helping him cook. I felt like I was at a dinner party. I quickly hid my queso in the unplugged microwave. Queso just didn't belong there. After eating the best burger I've ever had and about three small slices of filet mignon, Faye and I went to church. Claudia and I went to Target after church to do some essentials shopping. I splurged on a pair of flip flops and Ghost Busters. Both were well worth the splurge.

This morning I am exhausted, but the weekend was well worth it. I'll probably won't go out like this next weekend because I'll still be recovering.

1 comment:

hannah said...

Sounds like a blast! I am so glad you are having so much fun!!