Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm Not Dead

Sorry for the accidental blog hiatus. The last couple of weeks have been busy but pretty uneventful (I think). My boss got me sick last week by not going home when he was sick...note to all you people GO HOME WHEN YOU'RE SICK. On the bright side he felt so guilty that he let me take half of Wednesday-Friday off last week so I got a five-and-a-half-day weekend. I watched Burn After Reading and tons of TV trash. Burn After Reading was not at all like I thought it was going to be. They kind of portrayed it as this light, peppy film in the commercials, but it's a little dark and very weird. I went to American Idol watching party last Tuesday, yes that's right, even I got suckered into American Idol. It's not so much that I cared about who really won, but I figured if I was going to watch it by myself why not go ahead and watch it with a big group of people. Wednesday I watched the finale at home, because when you're sick you shouldn't go out in public and infect other people :). Friday I was feeling a little better so I went to dinner with my small group at a very small French restaurant in SoHo. It was called Ivo and Lulu, and it was really good, but for a picky eater like me there weren't very many options. A lot of the dishes were duck, there was only one chicken option and there actually weren't any seafood options. Thankfully the chicken was very good. It's a BYOB place so that was kind of fun to see what everyone brought along. Because I was sick, I indulged in a Dr Pepper. I like to class it up wherever I go. Haha.

Saturday I had a mission trip meeting. For those of you who don't know, I'm planning on going to Nicaragua in August with some people from my church. I'm really enjoying my church here, and I'm thinking about placing membership. It's weird because placing membership here is a lot bigger deal than it is in the CofC. I'd get voting rights, etc. I'm on stage 2 of the membership process, so we'll see how it goes. It kind of makes me feel like I'm joining a cult in a way, and I know if I ever had to explain it to someone who wasn't a Christian, I would be thinking of every detail I'd need to explain so that it didn't sound like a cult to outsiders. Is that weird? After the mission trip meeting we got lunch at a diner on the Upper East Side where my friend tried to guilt trip me into going to dinner. I had said earlier in the week that I would "probably" go, but once I got sick I told him I couldn't, besides the fact that dinner at Ivo and Lulu and lunch at the diner had broken my budget for the week. To prove that I was indeed still too sick to go out, I went home and took a three-hour nap. Sunday I went to church and then to Fairway, one of the cheaper places to get organic food in the city. As I was walking down Broadway I ran into one of the students from the Math Department. It's still weird to me to run into people I know in NYC. We were about 30 blocks from Columbia, so it was unexpected to see here there.

Monday we had what I call a Fellowship Tree Picnic. Our small groups here are called fellowship groups, and our FGs keep having to multiply becuase we grow so much so we call all our sister groups part of the Fellowship Tree. We had about 25 people show up in Central Park for the potluck picnic. It was so much fun! Almost the perfect way to spend Memorial Day. I think only two things could have made it better, a pool and a grill. You're not supposed to grill in CP, but on Memorial Day there were tons of people grilling. Maybe they don't hold you to the rules on holidays? Still we had gloves and a softball to throw around, wiffleball, football and a frisbee. We laid out like five blankets under some trees so we had a good spot in the shade to sit in while taking breaks from playing in the sun. I got injured while playing wiffleball haha. The grass was slippery for some reason so while running after the ball I slid and bruised my thigh. I felt like an idiot until my friend Chris slid in the grass like 10 times after that. It was hilarious though. I also tried throwing the softball with my friend Karen. Poor Karen. Either I was dead-on accurate or it hit the ground and rolled behind her. I warned her that it had been like 12 years since I had thrown a ball.

I'm finally starting to feel better. On Tuesday I was still really congested and was coughing a lot so my boss sent me home at 2 p.m. Yesterday we went home at 4 p.m. Today I'm hoping for 3 p.m. haha. It's quiet day so far. Tonight I have a fellowship group leader meeting (I might become a leader of a new group), tomorrow is my FG meeting, Saturday we're having a fundraiser dinner for Nicaragua and then maybe Sunday I can rest before church!

No comments: