When I moved to New York, I had dreams of knowing my neighbors, saying hi to the local grocer, helping old ladies across the street and just living in community. Sadly, that is not a reality. As many young girls in NYC will tell you, you don't talk to strangers. You'll make the mistake a few times, but then you learn and you don't even acknowledge their presence anymore. I call it "not engaging." For instance, the other day I was walking to work, and this elderly man was sitting on a stoop as I passed by. He said "good morning," and I smiled and said "good morning." Then he replied "so baby you want to go..." I picked up my pace and rebuked myself for breaking my rule of not talking to strangers. It never fails that when you think someone is just being nice, they actually have a hidden agenda. If you saw me on the street you would probably think I look pissed off. I just try to look "uninviting." Headphones on, head down, eyes looking anywhere but at the people around me. It's sad.
Occasionally though something happens to make you laugh. The other day I had an old man tell me to smile. But a few weeks ago, I had an incident on the sidewalk that takes the cake so far for my NYC experiences. I was walking Maggie, and she had finished her business so I was throwing her poop bag away when a woman approached me. She smiled at Maggie and said "how cute," but she was looking at me. She asked if she could pet Maggie. I said sure. She bent down, pet Maggie, then quickly got up, looked at me and kissed/slobbered me...thankfully on the cheek. I smiled and said "um, thanks?" and then walked as fast as I could back into my building. When I looked back, she was standing in the middle of Columbus Avenue looking at me. I was trying not to throw up as I ran up the stairs to wash her slobber off my face. Disgusting! Later, after her bacteria was off of me, I couldn't stop laughing about it. I'm pretty sure she was also as high as a kite.
No comments:
Post a Comment