On Saturday, I went to IKEA again. We mostly went to ride the water taxi and get something Andre forgot on his last trip to IKEA. We had $.50 hot dogs, grabbed a few essentials and headed back to Manhattan. We ended the day trip with Chelsea Market. I was so happy to get gelato. It's a really good thing I don't live in Chelsea; otherwise, I'd weigh about 500 lbs. Saturday night was Jonathan's birthday party, and my first house dance party. I probably shouldn't have danced with my cold. After our day trip to IKEA I had to go home and take an hour long nap because it wore me out so much. I couldn't resist the dance though - haha.
Sunday there were several options in the air including going to New Jersey to watch the fireworks and going to Governor's Island to see She & Him. It was almost 100 degrees yesterday so we opted to not go to Governor's Island during the hottest part of the day and instead we went to Jersey. Our friend Jeremy is working in Hoboken right now so he led the way on the PATH train. We found a great spot on the lawn, and I was a little grumpy (being tired, sick and hot) so I had to work on my attitude. I guess you never get over being 5 years old. So we spread out on the blankets, broke out the food and waited for the fireworks to start. They started, and we realized we couldn't see them! There were trees blocking our way. Being from Manhattan, we're used to buildings blocking our way, but what are these tree things? Most of the group got up to go past the trees to see the fireworks. I hung back and guarded the stuff. I could see half the fireworks through the trees, and that's good enough for me. Plus, I felt like it was my duty as "Mama Mel" to stay with the stuff. Honestly though, I didn't care. Fireworks are fireworks, right?
After the fireworks we waited for most of the crowd to leave. We played card games and talked. We had a gorgeous night view of the city. I don't care if you're a city person or a mountains person, you have to admit that this city is pretty! It was still crowded by the time we decided to leave. So crowded in fact, there were police for crowd control, and we had to wait outside until they told us we could go into the station. The train was super crowded, and there was a really drunk, sweaty guy behind me. There weren't very many places to hold on, and I was trying to just have a tiny hold on a pole behind me, but drunk, sweaty guy was like laying on the pole, on my hand. Then anytime the train shifted, his whole body would be tossed about, usually on top of me. I was getting really grossed out when we finally got a seat. After our lovely train ride home, we got off and walked to Times Square for some tourists that were with us. We decided we were hungry and tried to find some food. It's actually difficult to find a place that's open 24 hours that's not McDonald's! We walked over to Radio City and Rockefeller Center. Then we walked up to Columbus Circle to grab a cab home.
Our goal was to go to a pizza place that was open until 2 a.m. We made it around 1:30-1:45ish, but we dropped off our stuff at my friend's place and washed our hands. Then we walked outside, walked past the pizza place in search of diners that were not open. By the time we walked back, the pizza place was closed. So instead we went to the grocery store, bought ourselves eggs and juice and made our own diner food. I got home around 3:30 a.m., and I was exhausted! Ironically though, the longer the night went on, the better I felt. And I'm feeling pretty good today. PTL!
Sadly, I didn't take any pictures! I haven't been a good photographer this summer. I will try to do better. I think tonight we're going to the Bryant Park Movie Festival...finally!
No comments:
Post a Comment