Monday, January 05, 2009

Late Happy New Year

My first New Year's Eve in NYC was a blast, and no I was not in Times Square. If anyone had actually talked me into going to Times Square, I would have quickly changed my mind once I realized it was 18 degrees outside! It was cold enough to just walk Maggie let alone stand outside ALL night long. To even have a chance of seeing the actual ball drop you have to arrive by 3 p.m. to stand there the rest of the night. One, I don't have the bladder to withstand that kind of waiting. Two, I don't have the willpower to withstand that kind of waiting. Three, I have no desire to be around a crowd that large. And although this year would have been the year to beat the crowds (because not as many people were out there because it was so cold), it was too cold. I ran into my neighbor the morning of NYE, and he invited me over to hang out with them at their apartment. They were having a small get together. It was the perfect scenario for me. I didn't have to leave my building. So around 8:30 p.m. I took a bowl of queso and chips next door. No one up here has ever heard of queso, so whenever you take it to a party it is an immediate hit. We drank wine, watched New York 1 and drank champagne at midnight. I met some new people. No one I would call my new best friend, but I did get to know my neighbors better, and I definitely like them. They let me borrow Band of Brothers so that's what I watched all weekend long. I didn't make any official resolutions. Every year there are things I try to start off the year doing better. Maybe this year they'll continue longer than they did last year. I broke last year's resolution on January 3 so it doesn't bode well for me to make them official. On a side note, Maggie is with me at work today and being a total spaz. I had to send her downstairs for a while because I was afraid she was going to trip up one of the electricians who's here right now.

1 comment:

Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

Wow, it's hard to believe people don't know what queso is. Melody, you must be the Queso Missionary in New York.