Friday, July 28, 2006

Me and Dupree(s)

I think we all remember last year when I had the snakes in my apartment. If you don't, here's a recap: I had snakes in my apartment. I had nine baby snakes from July-September. They all come in and hang out in my bathroom until someone comes and throws them out. About two weeks ago I went to Fort Worth to see Mamma Mia. On Tuesday I drove in after the show and got in about 1:30 a.m. All I wanted to do was pee. So I ran into my bathroom, and everything looked normal, but I just had a feeling that there was a snake. So I picked up the bathroom rug, and there he was all curled up, snug as a snake under a rug.

I screamed and paniced...mainly because I knew the life I was about to lead knowing the snakes were back. Scott finally talked me into putting a trash can over him so that he couldn't escape, and he came and threw the snake out the next day.

Saturday night, I'm hanging out at Adriane's house with Deborah. We watch Miracle, and I head home around 12:30 a.m. I walk in, look in the bathroom, and there's a snake. Well my stomach hurt, and I was too tired to deal with him, so I took Scott's advice again but this time I shoved a towel under the door so he couldn't get out. The next morning when I woke up, I picked up the towel, shook it out and didn't see the snake. Then I saw him striking at me from behind the door. So I got pissed, went and got my bug-catching kit that Adriane gave me to catch snakes in, got the net and caught the little sucker and placed him in the Nature Discovery Zone (a small plastic bucket with a lid and a maze at the bottom). He hung out there until Scott came over and threw him out.

Tuesday morning, I wake up, look in my bathroom, and there's a snake in my bathroom with his head picked up looking at me. I'm too tired to deal with this one. All I want to do is take a shower and go to work, but my bathroom is being held hostage by Dupree #3. So I call Scott, and he stops by on his way to work and throws the snake out.

I finally get a chance to call my landlords about my snake problem, so yesterday they came over with their solution...moth balls and steel wool. So now my house stinks, and I'm probably still going to have snakes because neither one of those does any good for repelling snakes...but I guess we'll see.

Deborah and I are currently looking for a place to live.

2 comments:

Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

Melody--that is a nightmare of mine come to life! I hate snakes so much. I'm amazed at your brave snake catching skills!

leslie said...

OH my gosh. I would totally move out too. I HATE snakes, I don't care how small they are. You are braver than me! I wouldn't have been able to sleep there at all, much less shake out a towel!