Wednesday, August 04, 2010

The Power of Sleep

Lauren Winner wrote an article one time about sleep being a spiritual discipline. I still say it is, and sometimes people laugh at me when I say it, but it's the absolute truth. Think about it. I know when I'm tired, I am cranky and impatient. I don't do things that normally I consider to be the right thing or the polite thing even. I look out more for myself than I do for others, and I also tend to keep a looser hold on my tongue.

It takes discipline to make sure that you are spending time in community, but it also takes discipline to make sure you do it while taking care of yourself. That you get enough sleep to act like your real self and not your sleep-deprived self. I'm sure everyone's seen that 20/20 episode where they prove that driving while sleep deprived is actually worse than driving while drunk, and it's not just because of the risk of falling asleep. It affects your brain's ability to make judgment calls and respond appropriately to stuff around you.

Today I'm operating on less sleep than I know my body needs. Yesterday I was operating on less sleep than I knew my body needed. I have been grouchy and extra sensitive. It's made me want to yell at strangers on the street and cry at things that didn't go my way. I have resolved that tonight I will be in bed before 11 p.m. and get a good night's sleep.

I think it's more than just how it makes you feel. I honestly believe, getting enough sleep makes you act more like the person God wants you to be. Loving, joyful, kind, generous, peaceful, patient and faithful. These are things I'm not when I'm tired.

No comments: