Sunday, April 11, 2010

Busy Weekend

Well I said things had been pretty boring around here, but this weekend had a little excitement. Yesterday was a full day. I had a bridal shower at 2 p.m. followed by a football game at 5 p.m. and then a dinner recapping our Nicaragua trip. The bridal shower was a lot of fun, and me, Faye and Erica headed up to Riverbank for our game. We arrived right on time, and the game was going great. We were up by a lot when Aaron threw a deep ball to Drew, and Drew went up to catch it but it was high and a little behind him. He fell back and landed on his wrist. He immediately got up and ran off the field and looked like he was in a lot of pain. The trainers came over and took him to the first aid station, and we had to keep playing. After a few minutes one of the trainers came over and said that Drew needed to go to the hospital, but that he didn't know where it was. I ran over, and they were telling him to go to the hospital by Columbia so I offered to go with him since I knew where it was.

When we walked into the ER it looked just like you would think a NYC ER would look like. There was a woman yelling like crazy at security asking them if they were doctors and telling them not to touch her. We walked in, signed Drew in and then got called back to triage. Then we were sent back to the main ER area and given a room where there was a man already in there on a bed. A doctor came in and gave Drew an initial examination and then sent him back for x-rays. The x-rays showed that it was definitely broken, but they needed the orthopedic surgeon to look at it to see if he needed surgery. While we waited we went back into the room with the guy. He was so sweet. Drew and I think he was about 80, but he asked us all sorts of questions and would chime in our conversation. He was there because he rolled out of his bed during the night and hurt his knee. It turned out his knee was fine, but that he had pneumonia. Poor guy! I wish I could remember his last name so I could go visit him. The surgeon looked at Drew's x-rays and said he most likely wouldn't need surgery as long as everything healed ok. He set his wrist, wrapped it up and then took another x-ray. Then we got to leave. As Drew was checking out another crazy appeared in the exact same spot as the first and started yelling at the security people again saying almost the exact same things. It made me want to get the security guards a massage or something. I ended up missing the Nicaragua dinner, and I was really bummed, but I was definitely glad to help Drew out. I can't imagine if he'd had to go to the ER alone and sit there for three hours!

Today we went to the botanical gardens in Brooklyn to see the cherry blossoms. They weren't quite in full bloom yet, but we still had a good time. Karen and I were eating lunch, and all the tables were full so we had to eat on the ground. A kid kept running right past us and almost stepping on our food and then just barely missing us. Then he ran by one more time, stepped right on my tray and flipped my burger into the air and onto the sidewalk. Thankfully the dad ran right over and told me he was going to buy me another one. I appreciated it! After the botanical gardens we went to Target, had dinner at the Smoke Joint and dessert at the Chocolate Room in Brooklyn. All I wanted to do was come home and go to bed, but of course someone pulled the emergency cord on the train in front of us, so all Manhattan bound 2/3 trains were rerouted to go on the east side which meant I had to take the shuttle from Grand Central to Times Square and then get on the 1 train. I'm exhausted!

No comments: