Friday, January 08, 2010

New Year, New Job, New Sport

Get ready for a long post.

So I got yelled at while I was home for not blogging enough...I will do my best to continue blogging. It feels like either I'm too busy (not that I'm so busy I'm too cool too blog but too busy with a bunch of stupid stuff to sit down and blog), or that there's nothing going on that's blog worthy. Christmas was fun but really busy! I kept joking that next time I come home I'm hiring a personal assistant to do all my random errands (like buy zyrtec at Costco) and scheduling so that I can just enjoy the company I'm with. We did our blended family Christmas on December 22. I'm always happy when it's not on my birthday. The older I get, the less I care, but it's still nice to separate the two. The 23rd I went to Abilene to get my haircut by Caroline possibly for the last time. Sad day. Since it was the last time I let her cut it a little shorter (still around my shoulders). I got to eat at Harold's with Ryan and Cassie, and then we got coffee at Monk's. I also finally got to see the Sullivans. It's hard to believe how big those boys are getting. It was Bennett's 7th birthday. I had dinner with KC and Andrea and then got out of dodge (that's a phrase my parents use to say all the time, I have no idea where it comes from). On Christmas Eve I had lunch with Jess, Stephanie and Aubrey. I can't believe next time I'm home Jess and Aubrey will have babies! It's so awesome, and I'm really excited for both of them. Too bad I left their I ♥ New York onesies. We ate at Chick-fil-A, and there was this kid who kept coming by and interrupting us to ask us if we needed anything...as if we were dining at a five-star restaurant. Finally Aubrey said "no we're fine!" in a stern voice, and he didn't return. The mom in her is already coming out. Haha. Christmas Day I went to Brooke's and played Rock Band with her and Taylor. That night we went to Wes and Shelley's and ate and played nertz.

The day after Christmas we went to Possum Kingdom to hang out with my mom's family. I always feel like there's not enough time when we go out there, and I always vow to go out for more than an afternoon, but something always gets in the way like a canceled flight. That night we had the Pleasant Ridge reunion at the Rhodes' house. Daniel and I went out there together, we played more nertz and taboo. We left a little sooner than we had planned so we could meet up with Wendy and Scott for coffee. Another couple I always wish I had more time to visit with! The 27th I went to church with Ryan and Cassie, and I spent the rest of the day hanging out with my dad and Pam. After dinner at Blue Mesa Grill with them and Brooke, I went to watch the Cowboys game with Brooke and her friends. Monday I met Adriane in Terrell, and we exchanged presents and shopped. We also met Ryan and Cassie for coffee because they were in Terrell visiting Ryan's sister. I might have seen Ryan and Cassie more than I saw my family :). I made it home in time to have one last movie night with Wes, Shelley, the kids and my dad and Pam. I did laundry and packed while we watched Harry Potter. The next morning my dad took me to the airport, and he had to zip my last bag for me because I couldn't get it closed. We made sure to get me there two hours early even though I had already checked in, printed my boarding pass and wasn't checking any bags because of the extra security measures from the Christmas fiasco in Detroit. My dad dropped me off at 8:55 a.m. in front of my gate, and I was at my gate by 9:05 a.m. I was happy to not have to stand in line long for security, but a little irritated because I could have slept another hour.

My friend Steve and I met at the airport and shared a cab back home since we live close to each other. Then we went out with his roommate Jeremy to Faye's brother's party. That started the NYE parties. Well maybe I'm using the term party loosely...the next night we had an "editing party" where we helped Steve edit his business school essays. There were seven of us in one room editing his essays and talking about each one. I think we only made it to three of five. After editing we did play poker, and Steve and Scott took all my money. All $3.50. I'm not good at poker, but I'm determined to get better. NYE we went to a church service at Calvary/St. George's (which ironically is where Donald Miller spoke in NYC). It was a rainy night in the city, but something about the energy in the air and the rain made us feel like we had been transported to London. Even walking out of the subway we felt that way. Then going into a gorgeous old church just solidified the feeling. We made plenty of Harry Potter jokes. After the service we went to Sara Gallagher's party. It was also her birthday. We were doing a low-key New Year's, and it was. We just hung out, turned on the TV about ten minutes before midnight and then split.

So I didn't have to back to work until this past Monday, which was awesome. Also this week we're only working until 3 p.m., which is awesome, but I started my new job, and it's been a little hectic so the earliest I've left is 3:30 p.m. I'm enjoying it so far. It's your typical HR paperwork, etc. I'm curious to see how it goes once the students get back. I have my own office that I need to decorate. I'm not going to paint, but I need to get some artwork. I'm also not crazy about my office arrangement, but I'm limited with the L-desk I inherited. And on Saturday I start indoor soccer. I haven't played soccer since I was 11 unless you count playing in the park in Milan. I've been working out more this week trying to get some endurance back. We'll see how it goes. I bought shin guards and soccer socks with Adriane in Terrell, so I think that automatically steps my game up a notch, right? I guess tomorrow will tell.

No comments: