Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Life

Yesterday was the eighth anniversary of my mom's death. It's hard to believe it's been that long, but at the same time it does feel that long ago. I'd love to tell you that I've gained much wisdom from her absence, but I'm not sure that I have. I still miss her like crazy. Sometimes I wish I could pick up the phone after a hard day and talk to her...and after a really good day. I know she's still with me, but I think everyone knows it's not the same. Sometimes I still feel like a five-year-old and want to run up to her and hug her with my arms around her waist. I still have vivid memories like her picking me up from Bible class as a child. She would come around the corner and say "Melo-deeder-dumpling" (and you always wondered where I got my weird streak). We fought like crazy all the time because we were so much alike - stubborn and strong willed. I use her advice all the time in my life though. Anytime she was sick in the hospital and I would try to skip something because she was sick she would tell me that life keeps going with or without you so you might as well keep going with it. I think today that advice has given me the strength to make it through any difficult situation.

On a lighter note...the other night I was at a party and a girl and I introduced ourselves. We both agreed that the other looked familiar and that we must have met at church sometime. After a few minutes of talking, a memory started coming back to me so I asked her where she used to work, and it clicked. We met in a bathroom line at Bryant Park last summer! It was hilarious to realize where we met and that we somehow met again in this city of 8 million. What are the odds???

No comments: