Monday, October 05, 2009

New York, I Love You

Legendary! That was my weekend for you How I Met Your Mother fans out there. Friday night was the first meeting of our new small group. We had 13 people! Everyone in the group seem to mesh well together so that was an answered prayer. After group we headed out to karaoke in Chinatown. It was my first time to do real karaoke, and I had a blast. I'm sure that's shocking to those of you who know me. I wanted to be Jem (of Jem and the Holograms - Google it if you don't know her) when I grew up, so this was just a minor way for me to live out my dream of being a rock star. I got home at 3 a.m. so I was exhausted, but I was super excited because David and Melissa got into town Saturday morning. I had a football game Saturday afternoon so I couldn't meet them until later that night. Saturday night we also had tickets to see the dance festival at the City Center. I went to the ballet when I was really young, and so this felt like a first-time experience as well. The dancing was beautiful! I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but I did. It seemed so short, which I think it was! They would do one dance and have an intermission, but the last one I think they did four songs at once. Thanks to Erica for organizing that! I sat next to Lara at the show, and she pointed out a guy that she keeps seeing. He kind of looks like Einstein, and he wears a jacket with a giant patch on it and has a unique bag that he carries around. We noted how weird it was to see someone multiple times in NYC and agreed that this guy was unique enough to remember. After the ballet we went to Zanzibar for Lara's birthday, and David and Melissa met us there. It was a really nice place, but not really my style. I walked Melissa and David back to their hotel and went home.

Sunday morning I met D&M for brunch at Vynl. I went there about a month ago for the first time, but it's a fun place to eat, and they have a reasonably priced and really yummy brunch. We went to Chelsea Market, Staten Island Ferry and the Brooklyn Bridge after brunch. At the Staten Island Ferry David said "look, here comes Einstein." I turned around and low and behold, it was the guy from the show that Lara keeps seeing! It was crazy! We ate lunch at Two Boots. Two Boots has an awesome happy hour special which is buy a drink and get a slice of cheese pizza for free. The guy let us have a specialty slice though. Then Melissa and David headed uptown for their dinner for the golf tournament with special guests Hugh Jackman and Pat Green while I went to church. Sarah Tsai went shoe shopping with me, and I dropped her off at Shake Shack and hurried to the (RED) Nights concert at Carnegie Hall. Dan Suwatcharapinun (that's right, I can say it and spell it...) met me there, and it was incredible. Gavin Friday celebrated his 50th birthday with tons of musicians, and it was hilarious and wonderful. Bono was the first star to come out with Gavin Friday, then the rest of U2 came out to join him. Courtney Love was there. Martha and Rufus Wainwright, Scarlett Johansson, Lady Gaga and a million others were there too. Fred Armison dressed up as Prince. Some guy who was way too drunk was on stage. I think his name was Shane McGowan. He was so drunk that they had someone come out on stage when he was finished to escort him off the stage and make sure he didn't trip and fall or knock something over. Lady Gaga was a surprise guest, and when she came out I wasn't terribly thrilled, but I have to say, she changed my mind about her. The girl can sing and play the piano. It's too bad she's still a crazy dresser. She wore a body suit with fishnet tights, and I'm pretty sure the body suit was a thong in the back. It was fun to see all the celebrities, but I think we all know I was there for U2. I loved seeing them play in such a small arena. Poor Dan was on the receiving end of some excited hits from me. I'm a nerd, I know. I'm exhausted, but it was a great weekend. These kind of weekends and opportunities are the reason I moved to New York.

Here are pictures from Texas and this weekend!

No comments: