Friday, March 07, 2008

Political Gluten

I think precinct conventions might have the same ingredients as gluten because I think I'm allergic to them! After the primary elections the other night, I decided to be a good Republican and go to the precinct convention. Little did I know what I was getting into. I tried to research online before I went, but all I could find was "a process similar to the Democrat process." Well I knew what the Democrat process was, it was show up, write your name down and then write down the name of the candidate you're endorsing. Republicans is COMPLETELY different. So whoever decided to write that Republicans have a similar process was smoking crack.

The Republicans get in a group according to their precinct. Then you can sign up to be a delegate at the county convention later this month. At the precinct convention, people are allowed to submit resolutions that they would like submitted to the county convention. The group that is there votes on the resolution as is, votes to amend the resolution and then vote to pass/fail it or you can debate it and then vote on it. Let me tell you that I have a very active precinct. The other republican precinct was out of there in about half an hour. The last Democrat group was out of there after an hour and a half. Not my group. No, we were there for almost two hours! One guy brought ten single-spaced, one-page resolutions that he had printed off the Ron Paul website. Another lady brought her ten resolutions, and we had to discuss, amend, debate and vote on all of them! Finally at the end we made a vote to just send the rest of them to the county convention because we were all getting tired and a little cranky.

On a gluten note, I had been without gluten for about two and a half weeks (I had a couple of accidental slips in there, but overall had done pretty well). The doctor recommended that I go gluten free for a while and then slowly introduce gluten back into my diet and see how it went. Not well is how it went. I had a cup of soup for lunch yesterday, and I didn't even eat it all, but the rest of the afternoon my stomach hurt so bad. I'm going to try again in a few days just to make sure it wasn't a fluke because I wasn't feeling great to being with, but originally it was just my head and after I ate the soup it was my head and my stomach. So for now, it's looking like the gluten allergy is the answer to my problems, but only time will tell.

1 comment:

Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

I'm so sorry you are having stomach problems. Man, gluten's everywhere--that must be hard. By the way my sister is super jealous that you got a picture with Chuck Norris. She didn't find out he was in Abilene until the day after--she was mad!