Thursday, July 05, 2007

Way to Go Me

I obviously jinxed myself the other day. I do love traveling; however, last week did test my patience with traveling. On my home from New Orleans, I picked up lunch at the airport around 3 p.m. A lot of flights were delayed to Dallas because of the weather, but miraculously my flight was not delayed. I got on the plane around 4 p.m. for my one hour flight to Dallas, and I got off the plane around 9:55 p.m. Right as we got to Dallas, the storms started up again which meant our plane couldn't land. We didn't have enough gas to stay in the air, so we were diverted to Houston where we refueled and sat on the runway for about two and a half hours. There was no food, drinks or air conditioning, and it got really hot really fast. When we landed in Dallas I wasn't sure if I was going to make it back to Abilene.

Everyone was standing by to hear my plans. My sweet dad stayed in the vicinity of the DFW airport just in case I missed my flight to Abilene and needed a ride. My cousin Amanda was ready with a clean blanket and a couch for me to sleep on in case my dad had to pick me up and I needed a place to crash (my dad's living in his trailer on his property so there's no room for me). Scott was waiting to find out if I made my flight to Abilene and needed a ride home. And Adriane was waiting to see if I made my flight back and Scott couldn't pick me up and she needed to come. I really am spoiled.

Adriane had checked the American Airlines website and saw that the flight to Abilene had been delayed until 10:08 p.m. So it was 9:55 p.m., and I needed to change terminals and find the gate. The website said B29 or something like that. So I took the skytram and started booking it through the terminal. I found B29 but it said St. Paul, Minnesota. So I cut to the front of the line and found that Abilene was at B13. I thought there was no way I was going to make it. So I run through the terminal down to B13 as they're closing the door. The guy looked at me and said "Abilene?" and I sighed "YES!" He got my boarding pass and let me through. I called everyone to tell them that I had made it onto the plane by the skin of my teeth. Wrong.

I had plenty of time. They decided to hold the flight for a while to let other people who had been diverted make it onto the plane. So at this point I'm sitting on another hot airplane after running through the airport and I have had nothing to eat or drink since about 4:45 p.m. We finally left DFW around 11:15 p.m. and made it back to Abilene at midnight. Did I mention I get grumpy when I haven't eaten? Scott picked me up from the airport and I wanted Mexi Dips and Chips as my first meal in eight hours. I bite into my first chip...stale. Second chip...stale. Every chip...stale. I drank my Dr Pepper, gave up and went to bed. By the time I had lunch at 1:30 p.m. the next day, it had been 21 hours since my last meal. Sheesh. I'm luck I still have friends...

No comments: