Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Lucky Day

Last Thursday was my lucky day. I was at a conference in Fort Worth with Wendy and Donna, and we went straight to the convention center. Right away I won a pillow, then I got a 10-minute massage, and I won black jack which won me a chance to go to Vegas. Then we walked over to a booth that was making buttons from your picture, then ice cream, and then I wandered over to the silent auction.

There were two Stars tickets up for bid that were worth about $220. I figured it was worth a shot, so I waited and watched the bid. About ten minutes before the auction was going to close, I put a bid on the tickets, $165. I stood back to watch what would happen in the next ten minutes. Well I stood next to this lady who turned and said "how high are you willing to go?" Not wanting to give away my chance of the tickets, I answered "I have no idea." But in my head I was thinking "there's no way I would pay more than $175."

So I asked her how much she was willing to pay, and she played the same game. We each shared why we thought we deserved the Stars tickets more, and we waited. She had a good point, which was that she didn't want to go bid on the tickets and drive the price higher. So about two minutes before the auction was up she said "I'll pay you $20 to let me win." And I thought, "I'm sooooo not above bribes." So I took the $20 and went on my way.

Well it turned out later that she didn't up her price high enough, so I still won the tickets, but I still let her have them and kept my $20. I'm not above sitting in cheap seats either. So we went to dinner that night and ended up getting a booth at Razoo's that had its own TV, and we watched the Wildcats beat WTAMU.

It was a good day.

Oh and...I had my cholesterol taken for free, and I'm only 176!

1 comment:

Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

Can I take you to Vegas?