Thursday, October 13, 2005

Where the Streets Have No Name

So I've always wondered how to describe the feeling I get when I hear this song live, and tonight while I was reading, the author nailed it.

"I remember the first time I was truly in awe of God. I was caught up for the first time in my life in something so massive and loving and transcendent and true. Something I was sure could be trusted. I specifically remember thinking the universe was safe, in spite of all the horrible, tragic things in the world. I remember being overwhelmed with the word true. Underneath it all life is somehow...good...and I was sixteen and at a U2 concert. The Joshua Tree tour. When they started with the song 'Where the Streets Have No Name,' I thought I was going to spontaneously combust with joy. This was real. This mattered. Whatever it was, I wanted more."

Ok, so the first time I heard it, I was 14 and it was on the Pop tour, but I felt all those things. I could feel God through that song. I felt the overwhelming emotion of joy. I remember smiling uncontrollably because life was beautiful in that moment. Sure, my brother had just died a couple of years before that and my mom had cancer, but life was beautiful because God created it, and there was a place where the streets have no name.

And that, my friends, is why I will pay as much money as they demand to see U2 in concert. To remember that life is beautiful, and that my God speaks to me even through culture and men who say the f--- word on live TV.