"We must become the change we want to see in the world."-Mahatma Gandhi
There really are no words to describe the overall concert on Saturday. If you've never seen U2 in concert, you really need to. It's unlike any other experience. It was the most political and spiritual experience of my life. Imagine 20,000 people all standing (yes, everyone standing even in the upper upper upper levels) singing Psalm 40 at the top of their lungs.
The thing about U2 is that they don't just play their music-they make sure you're aware of what they're talking about. During Miss Sarajevo (or as I like to call it: Miss Sarajehovah), the four giant screens above the stage scrolled the first six articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. During Sunday Bloody Sunday (written about the violence in Ireland), Bono put on a tribal band that said "coexist" except the c was the Islam crescent, the x was the Jewish star of David, and the t was a cross for Christianity. He talked about all of the world coexisting and working together to make the world a better place. During One, people had the opportunity to text a number and sign their name on the ONE campaign petition.
What's ironic about this is that you might think "I go to a concert for the music." So do I, and this concert was all about the music. It was about U2's music, and what it stands for. Why they want the world to become a better place and how they think the world can change. They unashamedly declare their beliefs in their music and it comes out while they're on stage.
That's why I love U2 so much and Bono.
And I love going to Google on holidays!
The Dallas Morning News had an interesting review of the concert if you're interested.
1 comment:
awesome. glad you got to experience the concert. read this for some jealousy-induced rage, however.
love ya, sis.
Post a Comment