Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Piano Moving

A couple of weeks ago I decided to move my piano from Abilene to Mansfield. This decision was really made a couple of months ago, but this was when I decided to actually get it done. I looked up flights and actually was able to find a cheap flight for the end of August. The month of August itself was crazy, but especially the last two weeks. It seemed there was something going on every night, especially the week I left. Sunday we had a football tournament where I sprained my ankle, Monday we had a charity thing, Tuesday was a Brazilian feast and Wednesday was a wedding dinner for two students in our department who got married at City Hall that day. So by the time I needed to pack, I had no time. So I did what any self-respecting adult does, I packed all my dirty clothes in my suitcase and decided to do my laundry when I got home to my parents' house :). At least I did it myself and didn't ask Pam to do it for me.

I got home just in time to go to Livvy's (thankfully) indoor soccer game. We met Melissa and Chloe for dinner afterwards and DeDe Crockett came with us too. That was the first of many Mexican meals to come. We ran into so many people at On the Border including my brother Brent's kindergarten teacher. I couldn't even believe I knew exactly who she was when she walked out. Friday I slept in, helped Pam, went to lunch with my dad and Pam and then Daniel and I drove out to Abilene. On the way out, Daniel informed me that my trip was completely unnecessary because he would have moved the piano for me without me there. Isn't that sweet of him? I told him I didn't like abusing my friends so that they would help me in the future when I needed them. We had dinner at Rosa's, walked around campus for a few minutes where we ran into Rita Harrell and Jimmy Ellison and then met Ryan and Cassie Feerer at Play Faire Park. Funny story about Play Faire, I was leaving Cassie a message saying we would meet them there and I said "so I guess we'll see you at Fairway, I mean Fair Play ok bye...I mean Play Faire!" Daniel and I laughed so hard at how ridiculous that message must have sounded. We saw Micah P. Hinson play and ran into more people including Scott Taylor.

Saturday morning we were supposed to meet at 10 a.m. after my hair cut for breakfast, but my haircut ran late, and Cassie and Ryan were running late so we had to go straight to moving the piano at 10:30 a.m. Scott Delony, Scott Taylor, Scott Kilmer, Ryan and Daniel all helped. We were done by 11:15 a.m. though, and I was so glad for it to be loaded on the truck, but I was also really nervous about driving it back and unloading it. Scott Delony took us on a tour of his new place, and we went to La Popular after that. We really wanted Harold's for lunch, but Harold is sick so the restaurant was closed. It was really sad, but we were glad to squeeze in La Popular since it got bumped because of breakfast. So in all the chaos of the times getting shifted around, and then actually moving the piano, I forgot to call Hannah, and I'm really bummed we ended up missing them!

We went over to the Sullivans for a while where Susan and Barrett came over and so did the Kilmers. We just hung out poolside and talked before heading back to Mansfield. We unloaded the piano, and I couldn't watch for most of it. Unloaded it probably only took about 15 minutes total, but it was really stressful for me. Saturday night I hung out at my sister's then Sunday was filled with church, lunch, a nap, a visit with Stephanie and John, dinner with the family and then another movie at Shelley's. Monday I had lunch with Brooke, did some shopping, dinner with my dad and Pam and then Jessica and Georgia came over to visit. It was a busy trip home, but I feel like I got a lot accomplished! Yesterday was not the best travel day home, but I made it, and I will never fly in and out of JFK again. Plus, I think the zipper on my brand-new suitcase is already broken. I've used it twice.

Now I am waiting for school to get started here. It's actually a pretty busy time of year trying to get all the paperwork done and new people settled in. I think we're going canoeing this weekend if Hurricane Earl doesn't get in our way. I'll try to post pictures soon.

1 comment:

Adriane Jewett said...

Earl the dog would just like to say that he hopes Earl the storm doesn't ruin your trip.