Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A rant for the day

I try not to rant and rave too much on my blog, but there is something that just really gets under my skin. I work for a univeristy, obviously...everyone who reads this blog knows that. But what drives me insane about working for a university is the pompous attitude that faculty and staff sometimes get about our students. They begin to think that because they're students, they don't know anything. I've heard countless faculty and staff tell me that they don't want to tell a student something because they're not an adult. Funny, I thought they turned 18 a long time ago. And just think...every day we give our information to people who work for our credit card companies, electricity companies, etc., and we're lucky if they graduated from high school.

And...if you're their professor, and you think they're incompetent, then you obviously aren't very good at your job. Otherwise, you would respect them and realize that they are an adult and chose to continue their education instead of immediately going into the work force.

I'm sorry, but like I said it really bothers me. It especially bothers me when I talk to someone on the phone and they stop and say "are you a student?" And when I answer with a no they say "oh thank goodness, ok let me tell you what's going on." The fact that I graduated less than two years doesn't bother them, as long as I have that piece of paper that says I graduated...then I really know what I'm talking about.

I guess it's a good thing that they don't know that one of my student employees knows more about benefits than I ever want to know. Too bad they don't ask to speak with her instead of me, they'd get an answer immediately instead of me having to put them on hold, ask her, and then get back on the phone and relay the answer!!!