Monday, September 26, 2005

A-maze-ing

Thoughts after a conversation with a friend about God's will and how to determine what is God's will and what's not:

In Brian McLaren's book, A New Kind of Christian, he compares foundations of faith to a spider web instead of the typical building foundation. Well I was thinking about God's will in our lives. God has given us the freedom of choice, but with this choice he also gives us trials and blessings, and we also have the opportunity (here you go Pybus) "to petition [him] for a redress of grievances"...aka prayer.

So if we have free choice then what happens if we pick a path that might not necessarily mesh with something God had planned in our lives. So here's what I'm thinking. Because God is out of time, maybe he doesn't necessarily say "at age 34, John Doe is going to have a heart attack." Maybe instead it's when a combination of things are occuring in our life spiritually and emotionally that's when the trial happens. And maybe really our lives are like a giant maze where we have the option of taking different routes, but there is only one end point. There are roadblocks along the way, and some ways are shorter than others, but still the same end result and depending on which path you take, different things occur at different times in your life.

So maybe God's will works throughout our life no matter what path we take or what decision we make. Sometimes we make a decision and all the sudden there is a roadblock...possibly God's way of saying "you can try that way, but it's not going to work and not really what I want for you right now." Other times, we get to go a certain way for a while before we realize it's not right, and we have to turn back and learn from the wrong path. Sometimes the way to go is painfully obvious and other times many options seem to look the same.

I love how infinite and endless our God is, and I get so annoyed with myself when I try to limit him and put him in a box.

No comments: